Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj shared that he discovered his ‘I AM’ when his teacher asked him to just focus on his ‘I AM’ in whatever he did, as well as to use his spare time to sit in silence, and just focus on ‘I AM’.
Whilst there are countless different paths to discover, embody and work from ‘I AM’, spiritual and non spiritual, I was intrigued by his method and discipline in discovering and Being in ‘I AM’. So I made a resolution to Be in Silence with ‘I AM’.
However, when I looked around my chosen way of living, which is world’s apart to Sri Nisargadatta, I just could not work out how to embrace his discipline and self mastery of silence to Be in ‘I AM’. My lifestyle is constantly bombarded by external noise from emails, the web, social media, television as well as family, social and professional engagements. These do not even come close to the amount of noise generated in my own mind – constant white noise of swirling thoughts – of past events, future predictions, solutions to problems, anxieties – the never ending list.
The few times that I could will myself past the internal and external noise into the soft buttery embrace of silence, I was struck by the crystal clarity of the soft whispers of ‘I AM’. Solutions to seemingly insurmountable problems come so easily; fears and anxieties just melt away; I feel more centred, balanced and aligned. Just a few moments in the silence of ‘I AM’ replenishes my energy drained by the incessant internal and external noise.
Whilst it is the simplest, most joyous experience to Be in the silence of ‘I AM’, my challenge was to transcend the noise into embody my ‘I AM’. I do take a couple of moments during the day to meditate and I have thought about participating in the many wonderful silent retreats around, but I wanted to find a way where I could constantly Be in silence in amongst the Noise around and within me, with my chosen lifestyle.
What I have found that has helped me:
- Meditate in the silence of the morning to reconnect with the divine part within, my ‘I AM’ – before engaging in any form of external communication. This enables me to be aligned and centred with ‘I AM’ the entire day
- During the day, the alignment and centre that I established in the morning enables me to flow with ‘I AM’ with all that I do. I am able to hear the soft whispers and guidance of ‘I AM’ over and above the loud shouts of my thoughts and emotions, and the external noise.
- By staying strong and focused with the resonance of ‘I AM’ throughout the whole day, I can maintain stronger boundaries, and I only attract whatever is in resonance with my ‘I AM’ vibrations. Bliss.
- Before I go to bed, I allow myself all the time to allow any built up or suppressed thoughts or emotions of the day to flow freely out of my energetic bodies – either through breathing, blowing or visualising them out. Once generated, these energies need to be discharged.
- Just before I sleep, I journey to my ‘I AM’ centre, and there I fall asleep.
Once I started this process, I am finding that TV channels, books, websites and genres that do not resonate now have automatically lost their desirability. What I like and dislike, and who I spend time with has changed quite dramatically. Friends and family who do not resonate with my new way of Being either slip away or change to a resonance compatible with my ‘I AM’.
The more I repeat this process, the easier and less time it takes to fully embrace and embody my ‘I AM’ resonance.
Within the Silence of ‘I AM’, there is no conflict – just the one unified voice.